Tuesday, July 29, 2008

An Uplifting Weekend

This past weekend was the Spiritual Growth Workshop in Orlando, Phillip, Jonah, Courtney and myself as well as about 20 other families from our church attended this uplifting event. Courtney attended the Teen classes with Jonah and several of the teens from our church and absorbed just as much as they did, if not more. The schedule was jam pack from 8a.m. until 10 p.m. both Friday and Saturday but the speakers were AWESOME!! Since it was a workshop you were able to choose the classes that you wanted to attend, Phillip and I ended up in several of Dr. Randy Lowry's classes, who is the president Lipscomp University and let me just say he is a wonderful, speaker/teacher. Another very interesting class that we took in a room that ended up being standing room only, was taught by John Clayton, The new Atheism: Intelligent Design & Evolution, needless to say, my head was spinning after that class, this man was an atheist until in his early 20's, at which he learned about Christ and when he was baptized. I wish everyone could have attended this weekend, there was a class for everyone, classes on how we got the Bible to teaching faith to our children and the great thing was if you could not attend a classes b/c of another class then you could request a CD of the class. Like I said it was a very uplifting weekend, Keith Lancaster was there to lead the Praise & Worship. Oh, and I ran into a guy that I had not seen since Bible camp 18 years ago, he taught one of the teen classes that Jonah and Courtney attended. I would have never recognized who he was, sad to say, but he knew me. Have I not change like I thought I have................

.....................I guess I haven't change like I thought I have. Sunday night was Super Sunday for the Teens at church, meaning Jonah (I know it is still hard to believe). Anyway, since Jonah was at Super Sunday, Phillip, Courtney and I decided to attend the Central C of C, before church an Elder introduced himself to me and I immediately recognized his last name as some one that went to camp with, not him but his daughter. Long story short, Terri and I meet at Bible camp when we were about Courtney's age and every year we would meet back at camp. Then throughout the year we would write (yes that was the days of pen and paper) back and forth to each other. But what was so funny, I don't think I would have recognized her, but as soon as I said her name and gave her a little hint, she knew who I was. Maybe its my memory? Anyway What an amazing weekend, to be uplifted to the Lord and to run across to old friends from camp all in the same weekend.

Blessings to all~
Carla

2 comments:

4 females and a fireman said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Talk to you soon! Alicia

Deaton, party of 5 said...

Your conference reminds me of Lipscomb's Celebration. Glad you had an uplifting time.